How to preserve evidence after a car accident

How to preserve evidence after a car accident

Being in a car accident can be physically and emotionally traumatizing. You and any passengers in your vehicle may have suffered injuries. You also may have severe damage to your vehicle. 

In these situations, the most important thing to do is get immediate medical attention for you and your passengers. It is also important to gather and preserve evidence to support your injury or property damage claim.

The best time to gather and document car crash evidence is immediately following the accident. Below are some tips to help with this process:

  • Police report – Obtain a copy of the police report related to your accident. If the police were not on the scene, you can file a report in person at the police department.
  • Photos and video – Take photos and video of anything that can help with your claim. This can include:
    • The accident scene
    • Factors that contributed to the accident such as road damage, downed trees or bad weather
    • Injuries to you and your passengers
    • Damages to the vehicles involved in the crash
  • Witness testimony – In addition to any witness interviews conducted by law enforcement, it may be helpful to gather your own testimony regarding the accident. Collect contact information and each witness’ recollection of the incident.
  • Medical records – Obtain copies of your medical records related to any accident injuries. This includes emergency medical care, follow-up visits and any treatments you needed.
  • Personal accounts – Write down your recollections about what happened in the car crash. Continue to add to this account as you recall additional information.

Additionally, you may want to contact an attorney to help with your legal claim. They can serve as your advocate and guide throughout the process.

The Johnson Law Firm, LLC, can answer your questions about what our legal practices. Contact us for a free consultation. We are located in St. Charles and serve the surrounding areas of Missouri.